We have been inundated with requests asking who should be written to, CAZA? Dalton McGuinty? Local MP’s? We have been slow to respond because it is very hard to explain to people how the captive animal / tourist industry works and how many of the suggestions put out by people are dead ends. CAZA is a self regulated industry front group with paid membership. Dead end. Politicians in the Niagara Region who have said anything critical about Marineland over the last 20 years; Peter Kormos, Wayne Gates and Janice Wing. That is it. Mayor of Niagara Falls - dead end.
There is one contact that we would like to key in on though. Her name is Libby Davies (Vancouver East). Libby is a longstanding NDP member who in 2001 introduced a private members bill urging for a closure of the wild capture loophole. Now, as then, it was illegal to wild capture a marine mammal for display in Canada, however, it is was legal to import and export animals wild caught in other countries (Russia, Japan, etc.) Libby, as Fisheries and Oceans critic, put this proposal forward when the NDP had 13 seats. The now have 103. Libby is no longer the Fisheries and Oceans critic, however, Libby can answer the call and lead the effort to resurrect this effort.
For everyone looking for someone to contact, and for legislation to get behind, this is where time and effort need to be dedicated.
Contact information for Libby is below.
542-N Centre Block, House of Commons, Ottawa, ON K1A 0A6 Canada
- burden-of-a-time-lady reblogged this from marinelandanimaldefense
- ourartnow likes this
- orcalover80 reblogged this from marinelandanimaldefense
- orcalover80 likes this
- glassdungeon reblogged this from marinelandanimaldefense
- weeptowaterthetrees reblogged this from marinelandanimaldefense and added:
- niagaraadl reblogged this from marinelandanimaldefense
- hannah---rose reblogged this from marinelandanimaldefense
- marinelandanimaldefense posted this